Tuesday, August 8, 2023

2023 National Free Signer - Brian Urlacher

The next free signer I got was Brian Urlacher, but I may not have gotten him had I not read the flyers given to me in my VIP package.  Urlacher was scheduled to sign in the VIP lounge on Friday.  I didn't know it but he was only supposed to be signing event-provided 8 x 10s and no personal items.  Because I didn't know that, I went through the first football dime box I saw at the show and found the above 2000 Hit football card.
When I got to the handler, I saw that they had run out of photos, so they were allowing folks to pick from a pile of pre-signed cards.  I told the handler that I had brought my card not knowing you couldn't get personal items signed and to add it to the pile for someone else to have later.  She said "No, it's yours, don't you want him to sign it?"  So, I got to Urlacher for the photo-op, and I again offered the card.  He said "Nah man, I've got plenty. Here, I'll sign it for you. Go ahead and take one of those from the table, too."  So, I ended up with two cards from the signing.  Urlacher signed mine with a blue paint pen, and it looks awesome.
Urlacher is a big dude.  He was really nice.  Someone had brought a mini helmet to be signed for charity, and he signed that.  One of the handlers said something to him about not signing personal items and he said "it's ok, it was for charity. Mind your own business."  I think that may be why I ended up with my card signed, as well.
Urlacher (b. 1978) played professionally from 2000 to 2012 for the Bears.  He had 22 interceptions, 11 forced fumbles and 4 defensive touchdowns.  He was the AP Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2000.

Urlacher was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2018.

1 comment:

Jafronius said...

He gets a lot of flak on the Chicago Sports radio for things he says, but they say he's a good dude.