Wednesday, June 12, 2019

June 2, 2019, Graphing in Baltimore

Since Ticketmaster screwed up Orioles Fan Fest in January, I was able to get a free signing with Brooks Robinson and a free ticket to an Orioles game.  The choice ended up being the Sunday, June 2, 2019, game against the Giants.  My friend, Ryan, chose the same game, so we made a trip out of it.

I have Brooks on so much stuff, from baseballs to pool balls, cards, etc.; I had a hard time deciding what to have him sign this go-round.  I settled on the above 1963 Topps that was given to me by my good friend, Kyle.  Kyle was one of the very first people that I traded with on Instagram.  He might have been the third person I traded with on there; I was scammed by a kid named Joe and made a successful deal with my friend, James.

I met up with Kyle and his friend, Jordan, at the National a couple years ago when it was in Atlantic City.  While there, Kyle gave me the 1963 Brooks.  It is a sharp card.  The surface is immaculate, and I really wanted to have it graded by PSA.  You know, for fun, just to see what it would grade.  PSA took the card, and gave it back a couple days later and said that the card had been trimmed.  There was a notch on the side of the card that I hadn't seen before, and it couldn't be graded.  Still, the card meant a lot to me, so that is why I decided to have Brooks sign it.  Screw PSA, the card is priceless now.  I will always remember it as the card that Kyle gave me (I have sent him a snapchat photo of the signed card, and he approves), and it will always have a place in my album.
Here's Brooks signing for Chris.  He was amazing, as always.  He always has time to talk, and make you feel like he has been your buddy for years.
Chris got a blue foil Topps Fire card signed.  I had picked the card up at the Chantilly show with Ryan last year, and held onto it.  Chris liked it, so I let him choose it to be signed.  He has his own album of autographs, and I know he is proud to have this one added to his collection.
Not only were we able to see Brooks, but we were also able to see Boog Powell out in front of Boog's BBQ.  I went ahead and got my 1991 Crown Orioles card signed by Boog, so it would be over and done with.
I also had my 1962 Topps rookie that Mom gave me signed.  Much like Kyle's 63 that he had given me, I wanted the card Mom gave me in my album, instead of buried in a box under my bed.  It looks great signed, and it also has meaning, so it has a rightful place in my album.
I wanted to also get the above relic card signed by Boog.  He signed the relic piece, which I thought was odd, but still cool.

The card underneath the relic card is the only auto we were able to get while standing outside the stadium before the game.  The autograph is of Orioles manager, Brandon Hyde.  Since he doesn't have any cards yet, I figured the Camden Yards backdrop was nice.