Sunday, July 28, 2013

Hall of Fame Signed Baseball - Harmon Killebrew

The first thing we did in Cooperstown was check out a card show that was in one of the buildings we saw as we were walking from our car.  I remembered the place from the last time I visited Cooperstown, so when Drew suggested we check it out, I knew it would be a great place for us to get started.

The first vendor we saw as we made our way into the building was a guy that Drew knew really well from his times at the White Plains, NY shows.  The guy had a bunch of nice signed baseballs.  The first thing the guy did when we walked in was notice Chris and give him a free ball.  Chris picked out a signed Boog Powell ball.  Because he did this, I figured I should at least buy SOMETHING from the guy, so I really concentrated on the stuff he had.

He had a ball of a non-Hall of Famer that he wanted only $20 for (which I bought and will show later) and then I picked up the above Harmon Killebrew that I needed for my Hall of Fame collection.  I got it really cheap (for $70 I think), so that was nice.  It is a really good-looking ball with slight toning, but a great signature and HOF inscription.

Killebrew (b. 1936 - d. 2011) played in the majors from 1954 to 1975 for the Senators, Twins and Royals.  He had 2,086 hits, 573 home runs and a career .256 batting average.  He was the 1969 AL MVP and appeared in the 1965 World Series (which the Twins lost to the Dodgers).

Killebrew was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1984 (his 4th year on the ballot) when he received 83.1% of the vote.  He is my 88th Hall of Famer.

No comments: