Monday, October 10, 2011

Blast From The Past - 1991 O Pee Chee Premier

I was cleaning out an old album of cards so my son would have somewhere to put his wrestling cards when I discovered several pages of some cards that I remembered form my collecting days as a kid...

 1991 O Pee Chee Premier.  Oh yeah!  I remember when these came out.  No longer were O Pee Chee cards going to look EXACTLY like Topps cards from that year.  No, they finally had their own design, and a premium price point as well (if I remember correctly, they were pretty expensive for that era).

Loving Donnie Baseball's mullet in this picture, by the way.

This was right at the wave of card companies trying to cash in on the baseball card craze of the late 80s - early 90s.  Score, Fleer, O Pee Chee, Pacific, Leaf, Donruss, Upper Deck, Topps; so many card companies to choose from.  Oh, then you had to choose spin off brands as well: Triple Play, Collector's Choice, Stadium Club, Ultra, Flair, Fleer Metal, Aficionado (which I still really like), Score Select, Topps Finest, etc etc etc...

No wonder cards of this era aren't worth a thing.  This is what happens when you flood the market.  The cards look pretty good, though. Nice, basic design.  I also was remarking at how many big names I had in the album: Mattingly, Eddie Murray, Gary Carter, Robin Yount, George Brett, Nolan Ryan, etc.  They all went into a box for my son to look through when he gets into older cards.

I figured you guys would enjoy this trip down memory lane...

No comments: