Friday, March 5, 2010

THE Vintage Pick-up - 1953 Bowman Pee Wee Reese

I don't like to brag, but... MAN, I'M GOOD! The story behind this card is pretty simple, as you all know, my best friend Max is a huge Dodger fan. I have been helping him get into collecting since about this time last year. Well, a few weeks ago, Max made the trip to Greenville from Raleigh to come see me (which was nice by the way, I 'forced' him to watch Aliens, haha). During our visit, he showed me a couple links to some vintage cards he would be interested in, had he had the money.

The jewel of what he showed me was the 1953 Bowman Pee Wee Reese. He really liked the action shot of Reese, suspended in mid-air, about to turn two.

Now, the first thing I told him was "I bet you I can get one pretty cheap..." From then on, I was on a mission. I really liked the card too, so I was interested in seeing if one could be had at a reasonable price, and here we are. I felt bad when I purchased the card, knowing that I was buying something for myself that my best friend really wanted. I took care of that guilt about a week later.... If you look closesly, obviously, this card in not in 'Mint' condition. Ask me if I care. Here is another shining example of just an amazing card that I can enjoy because I am not handcuffed by condition. I guarantee you that Max would definitely enjoy this card as well, so I know I did a good job.
I think the back ended up looking pretty nice too, I was a little worried about it, since the Ebay auction did not have a photo of the back, but I took a chance.
If any of you know me well enough, you will know that I get a certain trait from my mother; in that if you give me something to look for, I will definitely find it, and will find it at a very reduced price. If I could get paid to be a 'card buyer,' man that would be cool.
Of course, I'm sure you all realize that other cards which were discussed the day Max came over were: 1948 Bowman Stan Musial RC, 1948 Bowman Bob Feller RC and the 1948 Warren Spahn RC. See a trend here? Ha. Ok, so what do you all think? Pretty sweet, right?

No comments: