Friday, March 5, 2010

Trip to Raleigh II: Checking out Cardiac Cards with Max

After the baseball game, Max and I decided to try a third time to see if Cardiac Cards in Cary was open. THEY WERE! We spent some time looking at their vintage offerings (lots of stuff out of my league) and through a 30% off sale box. Here are some interesting cards we were able to snag cheaply: Bo Freaking Jackson. 1986 Topps Traded RC. Nice. Is it just me, or is Bo like the Samuel L. Jackson of Baseball? Black Dynamite anyone? I mean, really, Jackson hit a homerun one handed while he was calling time and stepping out of the batter's box. I'm not making this up. Bo was a BADASS.

I love Harold Baines. I'm not afraid to admit it. I like how I explained this card to my son... "Look Chris, this guy had round hair!!" Did you know that Baines was a former #1 overall pick in the amateur draft? I read it the other day, he is one of the more successful ones. I highly doubt he will make the HOF, but he should get more consideration that he has.


I can thank Max for this one, he told me: "They have Roberts in this box, its the Finest, but yo have that already, right?" I said, no I have the blue and green refractors, but not the base.... I do now...

Max also saw this one and said 'Oooh, look...' I saw it and quickly added it to my pile... you can't have enough O's prospect Topps Chrome Autos. This is my second Reimold Chrome Auto, the first coming from the Awesome P.A. who always hooks me up.


We ended our day having a good chat with the young man behind the counter of the shop. he looked maybe 5 minutes older than 16, but he was a nice enough kid who seemed to know his way around some cards. That is definitely what this hobby needs, lots more young blood and less of the old curmudgeonly old men who we all have seen time and again.

1 comment:

Drew said...

Sounds like you had a nice time... cool Bo Jackson rc and Reimold. He's gonna be good!