Saturday, March 19, 2022

TTM Success - Robby Krieger

The Doors were a constant presence on the radio when I was growing up.  My dad was a huge fan, and would always be playing them inside his race shop and on the way to the track on Saturdays.  I had pulled the above 2020 Topps Heritage from a box and thought it would be cool to try to get Robby Krieger (one of the last two surviving members of the band, and the only one who seemingly signed TTM) to sign the card.
Additionally, someone at some card show years ago gave Chris a stack of these 1991 ProSet Superstars Musicards.  I was able to find them fairly quickly, and sent the Doors cards along with my 2020 Topps Heritage.
Krieger signed all of the cards, and since I had included my dad's name in the note, he also included a signed photo index card, inscribed to my dad.  I was able to give him an early Father's Day gift this year.

Krieger (b. 1946) was the guitarist for the rock band, The Doors, from 1965 until the death of Jim Morrison.  The band would continue on after Morrison's death, but essentially, once he was gone, so was the spirit of what made them who they were.  He had joined the band once keyboardist Ray Manzarek's brothers left the band.  Krieger and John Densmore are the only two remaining members of the Doors, following Ray Manzarek's death in 2013.

I mailed to Krieger on November 30, 2020, and got the cards back on February 14, 2022, for a 441-day TAT.

2 comments:

osupremegrandmotherone said...

He also wrote a couple of their hit songs.

Brett Alan said...

Very cool! The previous comment makes a good point--Krieger wrote my favorite Doors song, "Tell All The People", along with a little tune called "Light My Fire", among others.