Friday, November 23, 2012

1951 Topps Red Back #8 - Early Wynn

I hope everyone has had a great Thanksgiving.  I am full from turkey and German potato salad.  YUM!  I fulfilled my goal of not going out of the house today into all of the craziness that is Black Friday.  I have sold a few cards today during my Black Friday promotion (special thanks to GCRL for picking up some stuff from me).  I have a promotion going all weekend, through Cyber Monday, so keep checking my COMC for deals and help me clear that stuff out.

Now onto our regularly scheduled blog for the day:

Here is card #8, Early Wynn.  I posted about Wynn recently when I picked up his signed baseball.  You can read about that here.

Wynn (b. 1920 - d. 1999) played in the majors from 1941 to 1944, 1946 to 1963 for the Senators, Indains and White Sox.  He finished his career with exactly 300 wins (paired with 244 losses), a 3.54 ERA and 2,334 strikeouts.  He is one of two pitchers (Lefty Grove being the other) who retired with exactly 300 wins.

He appeared in two World Series (1954 and 1959) with the Indians and White Sox.  He also won a Cy Young Award in 1959 and was a 7-time All Star.  He finished as high as 3rd in the AL MVP voting (1959).

Wynn was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1972 (his 4th ballot) when he received 76.0% of the vote.

Hall of Fame: 3
Deceased: 7

No comments: