Saturday, November 24, 2012

Awesome Mail From Pete

Pete from 'Dropped Third Strike' was one of the two guys who got me started with this blog.  I haven't seen him recently, since the card shop closed almost 2 years ago, but we have still kept in touch.  His collection has stalled a bit, but he has still been 'in the game', so to speak.  He did find his 'holy grail' recently, the 1990 Donruss Aqueous Test Don Mattingly.  I was really happy yesterday to find a large bubble mailer in my mailbox from Pete.  Here is a little bit of what was inside:
This 2008 Topps Triple Threads 3pc jersey/auto Troy Patton is really nice.  Patton emerged last year as one of the Orioles' best relievers, and this was especially evident when he went down with an ankle injury late in the season.  J. C. Romero was picked up and proved ineffective, so Brian Matusz was moved into the bullpen.  Patton would come back and help the O's to the playoffs, but you have to wonder, had he not been hurt, would we have seen Matusz flourish in the bullpen?
Here is an advertising panel from 2011 Topps Heritage featuring the Orioles manager, Buck Showalter.  Showalter has been a great addition to the Orioles.  I liked Dave Trembley as a person, but Showalter's preparedness and attention to detail has been phenomenal.  I think he should have won the AL Manager of the Year Award, but you can't really argue with the job Bob Melvin did either.  Oh well, there's always next year.
Here is a 2011 Topps commemorative patch of Brian Roberts.  A lot of people don't like the manufactured patches, but I actually enjoy them.  I have a few, so I was happy to add this Roberts to my PC.  I didn't have any of him, so this was really nice to see in my box.  I sure hope Roberts can come back and reclaim his starting spot at second base and not continue in his role as the Orioles' Grady Sizemore.
Finally, here is a 2011 Topps Chrome Orange Parallel Adam Jones.  I always enjoy the Chrome parallels, and since the Orioles' primary color is orange, these really pop for me.  Jones had a great year and even finished in 6th for the AL MVP award.  Not bad!

So, thanks for the package, Pete.  I hope we can catch up at one of the upcoming card shows really soon!

No comments: