Sunday, March 20, 2011

Thoughts on 2011 Topps Heritage

I picked up a box of 2011 Topps Heritage from my local hobby shop today mainly because I was totally bored out of my mind. Anyway, I busted the box and here is a little bit of what I pulled:

Here is the best Oriole I got, a Nick Markakis base card. I love the design, the 1962 design is one of the best out there and I was really looking forward to Heritage this year for that reason.

Here is my one hit from the box, a Francisco Liriano relic. I was a bit underwhelmed with this pull, but it will be a little something to put in my display case at the next card show.

Here is a great pairing on the Then and Now insert. Usually Topps throws anything at the wall to see what sticks with their duos cards, but in this case, Spahn and Halladay is a great matchup. I like this card, for sure.

I was able to pull a card of one of my favorite Orioles' prospects, Brandon Snyder. I've met Snyder several times and each time, he has been really awesome to talk to. I hope to see him in the majors more this year.

One of the cool things in Heritage is seeing players in their new uniforms. I think that Topps Flagshhip comes out so early, you don't always get to see a player in the new uniform, so you have to wait til heritage comes out. You can see how strange Manny looks in the Rays uniform above. I also pulled new Orioles Derrick Lee and Mark Reynolds.

I'm always happy when I get a new Brooks Robinson card. I think pulling this card is what ended up satisfying me with this box break. It doesn't take much, haha.

I really thought this was a cool card. I keep forgetting that Babe Ruth coached for the Dodgers for a time. It is kind of weird seeing the Bambino with a number other than 3 on the back of his jersey, and seeing Dodger blue makes it even weirder.

Overall, I really like the design of this year's offering of Topps Heritage. I didn't have any great pulls (the Koufax auto would have made me pee myself), but in all, I was happy. I'm not sure if he is in the set, but pulling a Brian Roberts would have definitely made my day, but in the end, I got a good bit of trade bait and some stuff to sell at the next show.

3 comments:

Drew said...

Nice job with the break, and I also completely forgot about Ruth's tenure with the Dodgers. Could've done better with the hit but hey, thats not really the purpose of Heritage anyway.

Anonymous said...

You could probably trade that Liriano relic for something more to your taste, at least...if you know someone who collected Twins...

(hint hint)

William Regenthal said...

Email me and we can discuss a trade for the Liriano.... :)