Sunday, June 20, 2010

Something Completely Unrelated to Baseball

So, I have been VERY busy lately; planning my upcoming vacation, trying to get caught up at work, etc etc. Also, since this season sucks so bad for me, and not a whole lot of product has come out, I have really had nothing to blog about. Lame. Anyway, my younger brothers came up this week. One of the things we wanted to do was ride to Aurora, NC to the Aurora Fossil Museum to dig for shark teeth.

It is free to pull up and start digging, my son Chris, my brother Adam, his daughter Harper, my brother Andy and I all picked spots and started digging.
Here is a sample of what I found. Note the quarter used for scale. Some pretty big teeth. The circular thing is a fish vertebrae, and the straight thing in the bottom left is a ray barb.

Here is the biggest tooth I found. It has serrated edges and is still sharp as crap. I'd hate to have one of those embedded in a leg bone...
We also found a bunch of coral and some whale bones. For a place that doesn't charge admission, we really had a good time. I plan on going back regularly, it was a really nice way to spend a Saturday with the family. It also got my mind off of a lot of things.

No comments: