Thursday, July 12, 2012

Thoughts on 2012 Topps Allen & Ginter

Things have slowed down to a crawl over here.  No new cards or trades have come in.  No TTMs have gone out or come in lately.  I'm still a bit under the weather.  Chris is out of town visiting grandparents, so I am enjoying some quality time with the wife.  She and I rode to the LCS today so I could pick up a few packs of 2012 A&G to see what the fuss is about.
I picked up 4 packs at $4.50 a piece and my second pack yielded a Cal Ripken for my collection.  Very nice.  I used to be hot for A&G.  I remember when it debuted in 2006 and was the product of the year.  I had put together the set each year up until 2010.

I began to sour on A&G in 2009 when the infamous printing issues cropped up.  Remember the lines on the cards?  Those really got on my nerves.  I didn't buy but maybe 4 packs of 2011 A&G last year.  I'm pretty much over the set, now.

That being said, I do like the design of this year's set.  They look nice, much like an A&G card should.  I might purchase a box at some point; but as of right now, I'm in full save mode.  I paid myself back pretty quickly for the money I spent on 2012 Topps Series 2 and have now rolled that on to autograph tickets for the 2012 National Card show.  I have almost paid myself back for that stuff as well, meaning, if I can build a nice surplus to take with em to the show, I might be able to find a lot of blog worthy cards and such while I am there.

So, I have to sacrifice.  No boxes to bust, no HOF baseballs to buy, no Ebay purchases up until the end of the month, then I can splurge at the National.  Plus, that is my vacation time as well, so I need to save for that, too.

Once all of this is said and done, I should be back into blogging full time by the end of the month.  We'll see.  Might need you guys to hook me up with some trades to keep me writing.

No comments: