Monday, July 23, 2012

I Got My Autograph Tickets for the National

My vacation starts when I head home from work on Friday.  On August 4 and 5, we (my wife, son, myself and fellow blogger Ryan) will all be going to the National card show in Baltimore.  I'm really excited.  This is the reason I haven't bought anything in a while.  After purchasing my 3 jumbo boxes of Topps Series 2, I have devoted all of my savings toward paying for my autograph tickets and building a sizable amount to take with me to said show.
Chris and I are going to meet Frank Robinson and Ralph Kiner.  I already have Kiner on a baseball, but I wanted to be able to say I met him.  Same goes for Chris.  I thought it would be cool for him to be able to tell people (when he is my age) that he met an all-time great.  Kiner is pushing 90, so who knows how many opportunities will come along to meet the guy.  I'm still going to get a ball signed by him, so I will have 2.  I might possibly authenticate one of them and trade it for another Hall of Famer that I don't have, but I haven't decided yet.  I will also be adding a new Hall of Famer to my collection when I have a ball signed by Frank Robinson.  For some reason, a ball signed by him has eluded me so far, but that won't matter after I meet him in person and have him sign a ball for me.

I am going to sit down over the next few days and make a list of some things I want to look for at the show.  I most definitely will be on the lookout for 2009 Topps Brooks Robinson Letter Patches to hopefully finish off my collection.  I may also look for some 1948 Bowman to make a dent in that set.  Maybe I'll look for another 1951 Topps Red Back set, since, you know, I can't freaking find mine...  Maybe some Bowman Bob Fellers.  Maybe some Virgil Trucks cards (2011 Wrapper Redemption Auto, maybe?).

I'm really excited!  I'm also excited about the other part of my vacation, which is pretty much destination unknown right now.  I intend to check out some MiLB teams somewhere, but I'm not sure where, yet.  Most likely Memphis and/or Nashville, but I'm not ruling out Montgomery, AL, either.  I still need to decide.

Anyway, I'm excited, as you can tell.  I'll be looking for cards for certain friends of mine as well.  You know who you are!

2 comments:

unclemoe said...

Have fun, man!

moe.

Ryan H said...

Yep, I'm starting to get excited and prepared too. I just put the spare bedroom together the other day for your visit!