Thursday, July 28, 2011

Ebay Pickup - 1933 Goudey Rick Ferrell

I used what was left on my Ebay gift card to pick up this 1933 Goudey Rick Ferrell. This is the first Goudey card that I have picked up, so I wanted to make it a Hall of Famer.
Rick Ferrell (b. 1905 - d. 1995) played in the majors from 1929 to 1945 and 1947 for the Browns, Red Sox and Senators. He had 1,692 hits, 28 home runs and a .281 batting average. He was an All Star 7 times. I'm still a little baffled as to why he is a Hall of Famer, having been elected via the Veterans Committee in 1984. I'm assuming it is because during his era, the catching position wasn't known for much offense? Maybe someone can shed some light on that for me.

Ferrell is a native North Carolinian; he was born in Durham and grew up outside of Greensboro in Guilford County.

After doing a little more research on the card, I found out that this is, in fact, Ferrell's rookie card. So, it appears that with a $25 Ebay gift card, I was able to knock out two Hall of Fame rookie cards. A former Oriole and St. Louis Brown. Not too bad.

3 comments:

Hackenbush said...

Great find!

Matt Runyon said...

nice job!

Matthew Glidden said...

Agreed, great pickup! Ferrell's post-playing career as an Detroit executive and favorable makeup of the Vets committee also had something to do with his selection. This page breaks down Rick's context in pretty good detail.

Rick Ferrell in the HOF