Saturday, February 4, 2017

TTM Success - Richard Petty

Sometimes, I venture outside of baseball for a few TTMs.  I got a box of cards from my mom that had been in the attic and for whatever reason, this Maxwell House NASCAR card was in there.  I've never been a NASCAR fan; I have always stuck to Drag Racing, but you can't live in North Carolina and not have at least an awareness of it.

So, when I saw that Richard Petty signed TTM, I wanted to be able to use this one lonely NASCAR card.  What better name from NASCAR could I attempt, anyway?  I believe I have met Petty once, when I was much younger.  I believe it was at a chicken stew at a drag racer's house, but I don't quite remember.  I do know that I met Dale Earnhardt a long time ago (Mom still has the autograph that I got).

Petty (b. 1937) raced in NASCAR's top series from 1958 until 1992, capturing 7 series championships (1964, 1967, 1971, 1972, 1974, 1975 and 1979) and 200 race victories.  His 200 race victories are a sports record that likely will never be broken.  He was among the inaugural class of NASCAR Hall of Fame inductees in 2010.  He is also a member of the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America (1989) and the International Motorsports Hall of Fame (1997).  He was also awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President George H. W. Bush in 1992.

I mailed to Petty on January 9 and got the card back on January 14, for a 5-day TAT.

No comments: