Wednesday, June 15, 2016

TTM Success - Turk Lown

My TTMs are starting to dry up, it seems.  Fewer and fewer are rolling in, but I actually see that as a good thing.  This has allowed me to get closer to getting caught up on posts lately.  I am still way behind, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel; until the National comes.

Here is another 1953 Topps that I was able to get signed.  I sent this off to Turk Lown, along with his $20 fee for a signature.  Normally, I would have let that fee scare me away from trying to get a card signed, but when I saw that he donates all of the money to cystic fibrosis research, I felt like I was doing a good thing.  I mailed to Lown on May 2 and got the card back on May 21, for a 19-day TAT.

Lown (b. 1924) played in the majors from 1951 to 1954 and 1956 to 1962 for the Cubs, Reds and White Sox.  He had a career record of 55-61 with an ERA of 4.12 and 574 strike outs.  He also led the league in saves in 1959.  That 1959 season, Lown pitched in three World Series games against the Dodgers (3.1 IP) and didn't allow a run.  The White Sox lost that World Series.

No comments: