Friday, June 10, 2016

TTM Success - Bob Cerv

I added some more 1950s-era cards to my autograph binder when I got these cards in from Bob Cerv.  I originally mailed to him on April 20, but the cards were sent back, RTS.  However, a new address was printed on the envelope, so I tried again on May 6.  I got the cards back on May 16, for a 10-day TAT.  Cerv signs for $5/card.

This 1953 Topps card was really beat up, but I was happy to be able to re-use it for TTM purposes.  It turned out fine, and will look good in my binder.
This 1956 Topps was in far better condition and looks really nice signed.  I like the 1956 set and will probably try to complete it sometime soon!
Finally, here is a lower grade 1959 Topps that I was able to have Cerv sign.  It is a pretty rough card, but turned out ok.

Cerv (b. 1925) played in the majors from 1951 to 1962 for the Yankees, A's, Angels and Colt .45s.  He had 694 hits, 105 home runs and an average of .276.  His best season was in 1958 when he hit 38 home runs for the KC A's and finished 4th in the AL MVP voting.  That was also the only season in which he was an All Star.  He won the World Series with the Yankees in 1956.  He was also on several other World Series winning teams, but 1956 was the only season where he actually appeared in the Fall Classic.

No comments: