Saturday, August 10, 2024

2024 National Paid Signer - Manny Ramirez

Another former player that I paid to meet this year at the National was Manny Ramirez.  I wish I could say that meeting Manny was cool, but it was pretty unremarkable. He did look up at me when I thanked him for signing.  He didn't say anything, and had his air pods in, so I doubt he heard anything I was saying.  Also, his signature wasn't much; I got this little loopy thing on my 2008 Topps Stadium Club. 

I chose this card because when it came out back in 2008, I (and a former friend of mine) really enjoyed this panoramic shot of Manny in a Dodger uniform. 

Ramirez (b. 1972) played in the majors from 1993 to 2011 for the Indians, Red Sox, Dodgers, White Sox and Rays.  He had 2,574, 555 home runs and a .312 batting average.  He was a 12-time All Star (1995 and 1998 to 2008).  He was the runner-up to Bob Hamelin (seriously) in the 1994 AL Rookie of the Year voting.  He won the World Series with the Red Sox in 2094 and 2007.

Ramirez played in Kinston in 1992, hitting .278 with 13 home runs. It would have been really cool to see him play at Grainger Stadium. 

1 comment:

Laurens said...

Oddly enough, it is a Photoshopped image of Manny when he was with the Red Sox - where is the umpire?