Wednesday, March 21, 2018

TTM Success - Ryne Sandberg

It is pretty hard to be disappointed when you get a TTM success from a Hall of Famer, but in the case of Ryne Sandberg, when I saw my return, I was actually a bit disappointed.  The reason I was disappointed was because I paid his per-card fee of $5.00, but one of my cards came back unsigned.  Yes, he missed my 1987 Topps for my set.  That's ok, though, I re-sent the card this week, and I also included another fee.

So, I did get some awesome cards signed by Sandberg, though.  The above multi-exposure 1994 Topps was one that I had to include in the TTM request.  The funny thing about Sandberg, though, is that I had very little to choose from, for his cards.  I guess the ones I used to have went out to the numerous Cubs fans that I have come across over the years.  I'm not even sure I have sent Max any, I think they went out to other Cubs fans before he came along.  So, I went on COMC and picked out a few Sandberg cards that I thought would look cool in my album, and settled on the 1994 and the two 1991s below (and of course an 87).
Both of these 1991 Topps turned out really nicely.  I like that they both were horizontal cards, as they really help with the signature.  Something else that I find funny about Sandberg is that I STILL don't have him on a ball for my Hall of Fame collection.  I keep meaning to send a ball to him, but adding the 1987 to my set seemed like a better one to do first (and now second).  So, if that card comes back, I will probably look to getting him on a ball.

Sandberg (b. 1959) played in the majors from 1981 to 1994 and 1996 to 1997 for the Phillies and Cubs.  He had 2,386 hits, 282 home runs and a .285 batting average.  He was the NL MVP in 1984 and was an All Star from 1984 to 1993.  Not really known as a power hitter, Sandberg hit 40 home runs in 1990.  He was a Gold Glove Award winner from 1983 to 1991, and a Silver Slugger in 1984, 1985 and 1988 to 1992.

Sandberg was elected to the Hall of Fame in 2005 (his third ballot) when he was named on 76.2% of the ballot.

I mailed to Sandberg on February 7 and got the cards back on February 20, for a 13-day TAT.  I sent a check for $20.

No comments: