Friday, March 9, 2018

TTM Success - Kurt Bevacqua

This TTM success from Kurt Bevacqua was pretty cool, in that I was able to get this 1976 Topps card signed.  I have been sitting on this card in my box for a long time, and finally sent to him.  He charges a fee, so that's what took me so long.  I knew, though, that when I did send to him, this would be the first card to go out.  It's one of the more oddball issues in a regular Topps set, and now it is in my autograph album.
I got some nice early 80s goodness with this success, as well.  I love the old Pirates jerseys that are shown on these cards, especially the Pirates pillbox caps.  The 1981 Topps looks like it has a bad signature, but upon further inspection, that is due to the heavy wax that is on the card.  This card must have been the first one in the pack.  It has character, and displays a common theme of 80s cards gone by, wax staining.  Now, it would be considered a short print variation.

Bevacqua (b. 1947) played in the majors from 1971 to 1985 for the Indians, Royals, Pirates, Brewers, Rangers and Padres.  He had 499 hits, 27 home runs and a .236 batting average.  He appeared in 5 games in the 1984 World Series, a Padre loss to the Tigers, but he contributed to the Padre cause with a .412 batting average and 2 home runs in 17 at bats.

I mailed to Bevacqua on January 31 and got the cards back on February 9, for a 9-day TAT.  I paid his fee of $8/card.

No comments: