Sunday, March 25, 2018

TTM Success - Roger Clemens

This might be one of the biggest TTM successes that I have gotten in quite a while.  It is also the most expensive.  There are a few players who have multiple cards in the 1987 Topps set.  Roger Clemens is one of them.  So, to get the three cards he has in the set signed, I had to shell out $25.00/card to his foundation.  I couldn't stop there, though.  I have long enjoyed his 1991 Topps and figured that since I was going to all of this trouble, I might as well add that card the the TTM request as well.

I'm glad I did.  This card is awesome.  1991 Topps is a very under-appreciated set.  There are several cards with great photography, and I have two of them in my album, now (the Wade Boggs being the other).  The card looks awesome signed, I think.
Clemens has three cards in the 1987 set.  He has an '86 record breakers card (card number 1), a base card (card number 340) and an All Star card (card number 614).  I was able to remove 3 cards from my checklist with one TTM success.

Clemens (b. 1962) played in the majors from 1984 to 2007 for the Red Sox, Blue Jays, Yankees and Astros.  He holds a career record of 354-184 with 4,672 strike outs and a 3.12 ERA.  He won the Cy Young Award seven times (1986, 1987, 1991, 1997, 1998, 2001 and 2004) and was the AL MVP in 1986.  During the 1986 season, he went 24-4 with a 2.48 ERA and 238 strike outs.  He won 20 or more games in 6 seasons; he struck out more than 250 batters 5 times).

He was on 11 All Star teams and won the World Series in 1999 and 2000 while with the Yankees.

Clemens ranks among the all-time leaders in wins (9th), games started (7th), strike outs (3rd), WAR (8th, if you care about that stat) and WAR for Pitchers (3rd).  From my 25+ years of watching baseball, I can honestly say that Clemens was the greatest pitcher that I ever saw pitch.

Clemens has been eligible for the Hall of Fame since 2013 (6 ballots) but has not received more than 57.3% of the vote.  Anyone that has followed baseball knows that Clemens making the Hall is a long shot at best due to his connection to steroids.  Clemens has not tested positive for performance enhancing drugs, and has denied taking them.  However, he has been linked countless times, and has been investigated by Congress.  The congressional investigation did not lead to any indictment, but for many folks, this has been enough to hold him out of the Hall.

My own personal opinion, since this IS my blog, is that Clemens should be in the Hall of Fame.  Who should and shouldn't be in the Hall is another discussion for another day, but Clemens was probably the greatest pitcher of his generation.  Whether he did or did not do steroids, he was amazing.  He sold tickets to games.  He sold a ton of merchandise.  Kids had his posters on their walls.  He was the best.  He probably could strike out some major leaguers today, even at 55 years old.  Clemens was great.

I mailed to Clemens on January 20 and got the cards back on February 26, for a 37-day TAT.  I included a check to his foundation for $100.00 ($25/card).  He charges $100.00 for baseballs, in case anyone was wondering.

No comments: