Saturday, August 12, 2023

2023 National Free Signer - Larry Hisle

The next free signer at this year's National was Larry Hisle.  I had cards put aside to try him TTM, but I had kept putting it off.  I was happy to see that he was on the list this year and get my cards signed.  The above 1970 Topps turned out great.
Hisle was really nice.  He looked up at me and said "Young man, what advice would you give a 77-year old on slowing down the aging process?" I said "Umm, that's a tough one, let me think." He replied "I'm just kidding" and I said "You could start counting in reverse." He laughed and said "actually, I feel pretty good for 77, almost 78. I'm doing fine."  I really liked talking with him.
Hisle (b. 1947) played in the majors from 1968 to 1971 and 1973 to 1982 for the Phillies, Twins and Brewers.  He had 1,146 hits, 166 home runs and a .273 batting average.  He let the AL in RBIs with 119 in 1977 and was an All Star in 1977 and 1978. He finished 3rd in the AL MVP race in 1978. He appeared on the Hall of Fame ballot in 1988, but received no votes.

3 comments:

night owl said...

I have more interest in the free signers than the ones you have to pay for.

Brett Alan said...

He was a very good hitter. Underappreciated.

Jafronius said...

Fun interaction!