Friday, March 27, 2015

Breaking Boxes With Weston

I recently entered a box break that my buddy, Weston, held over at his blog "Fantastic Catch."  He busted boxes of 2008 Tristar Projections, 2008 Tristar Prospects Plus, 2011 Donruss Elite Extra Edition and 2012 Donruss Elite Extra Edition.  Naturally, I picked up the Orioles and I also grabbed up the Cubs and Brewers to use as trade bait for a couple friends of mine (and also to help Weston fill the break).

I feel like I did pretty well on the break, as I ended up with a sweet 4-piece jersey card of (then Cub) Oriole utility player, Ryan Flaherty.  This is a really cool card, actually.  I'm glad I ended up with it.  "Flash" has had a decent career with the O's, especially since he was a Rule V pick that managed to stick with the club all season in 2012.  He has filled in admirably for the O's when Manny Machado and J. J. Hardy have gone down to injury.
I got this nice auto of former Cubs prospect Barret Loux.  He was a first round draft pick (6th pick overall) by the Diamondbacks in 2010.  A check on baseball-reference shows that Loux hasn't played since 2013.  I wonder what happened to him?
One of the former Oriole prospect autos that I got was this Kyle Hudson which is numbered 6/25.  His last entry on baseball-reference says that he was released by the Angels on July 1, 2014.
Another auto that I got was this Josh Vitters from 2008 Tristar Projections.  Vitters was a first round pick (3rd overall) in the 2007 draft and was picked up by the Rockies this past February.
I got this nice 12/25 card of Orioles former first round pick, Brian Matusz.  Matusz is a really nice guy, but I wouldn't trust him with the game on the line in the playoffs.  He is likely to be traded before Spring Training ends, which will bring an end to a somewhat disappointing run in Baltimore.  I really had hoped that he would make it as a top of the rotation starter, but it just hasn't worked out.
One of the Cubs cards I was able to pick up was this Albert Almora from 2012 Elite Extra Edition.  Almora is almost forgotten with the emergence of Kris Bryant.  At least, I haven't heard much about him with all of the Bryant drama going on.
Finally, I got this awesome Josh Donaldson prospect card.  I liked him when he was on the A's, but I can see him becoming a real thorn in my side now that he plays for the Jays.

Thanks for the break, Weston!  I'm glad I could be a part of it, and I hope you do another one soon!

No comments: