Friday, September 7, 2012

Vintage Sportlots Pickups

As I come down from the euphoria experienced from last night's epic slugfest against the Yankees, and as I prepare to take in a couple MLB games over the next few weeks, I decided to show a few Sportlots pickups I got in the mail yesterday.

I hadn't picked up any set needs lately, so I figured it would be a good time to hit a few of my lists and whittle a few down.  The first package that arrived had some 1969 Topps, 1971 Topps, a couple 2010 Allen and Ginters and one odd ball vintage card.
I didn't yet have this 1969 Topps Deckle Edge Brooks Robinson in my collection and when I saw it listed from one of the sellers that I was pulling from, I decided to add it to my cart.  They wanted $5.00 for it, so i figured that was a pretty good deal.  I think these cards look awesome.  I wish it would have scanned better, but since the borders are white, they aren't picked up well by my scanner.  So, I had to use a birthday card envelope behind it to make the edges stand out.  Looks ok, I guess.
Of the actual cards I knocked off of my sets, this package didn't really include big names, just commons that needed to be taken care of.  The biggest name player in this package was Johnny Podres.  This card comes at the tail end of Podres' career.  Podres with the Padres.  Kinda cool.
I added this high number Astros team card from 1971.  The high numbers really slow you down when you are building a vintage set.  Some people want $20 a piece for some of these high numbered cards.  $20 for an early 70's Astros team card?  No thanks.  I paid $5.00 for this one.  Still high for, you know, an early 70s Astros team card, but oh well, better than $20.
Finally, I added this 1971 Topps #161 - Coins Checklist for $0.69.  I can't remember the last time I scanned a checklist and put it on the blog.  Gotta get all the cards in the set and this was one of them.  I'm hoping my next package will have a little more 'meat' to it, I guess, but the Topps Deckle Edge Robinson was surely a highlight.  I wouldn't mind Topps using that design again, because, well, you know they will.

2 comments:

Hackenbush said...

Podres with the Padres is good. I also like Dave Philly with the Phillies.

Anonymous said...

...If only Reggie Cleveland had played for the Indians...