Sunday, September 9, 2012

1959 Topps Sportlots Pickups

When I got home from my trip to Pittsburgh, I was happy to find in my mailbox, several mailers containing more of my latest order from Sportlots.
I knocked off 3 more 1959 Topps, beginning with card number 1, Ford Frick.  I wonder how pleased some collectors would be if they opened a pack of cards and one of the cards inside was of Bud Selig.  That being said, however, Frick is a Hall of Famer, and the namesake of the broadcasting award for the Hall of Fame, so he, clearly, is deserving of the card.
The next card is the 1958 Rookie of the Year for the AL, Albie Pearson.  Pearson (b. 1934) celebrates his 78th birthday in just 3 days on September 12th.  He played 1958 to 1966 for the Senators, Orioles and Angels.  He would probably be a good choice for one of my next TTM attempts.  We'll see.
Finally, another former Oriole I picked up this go-round is Al Pilarcik.  Pilarcik (who died in 2010 at the age of 80) played in the majors from 1956 to 1961 for the A's, Orioles and White Sox.


This will be it as far as me buying single cards for a while (apart from the ones that I have yet to blog) since my birthday is next Friday (the 14th).  My want list is up to date, so maybe someone (Mom, cough cough) will want to use it to help them out, haha.

1 comment:

Fuji said...

This is totally random, but the first thought that popped into my mind when I saw your Frick card was the movie, 12 Angry Men.

Glad to see you're three steps closer to your goal. Happy early birthday!