Monday, September 30, 2024

Rest in Peace, Pete Rose

He was a polarizing figure for some.  Regardless of that, he was a baseball legend.  Today, the world lost Pete Rose.  The all-time hits leader was 83.

I met Pete Rose a few times, the most memorable being at the Hall of Fame induction weekend in 2013 when no living Hall of Famers were being inducted.

I made that trip with good friend, Drew, his dad, Joemama, my son, Chris and my brother, Adam.  So much had changed since then.  I'll never forget Chris getting tired of standing in line and plopping down at the first chair he saw, next to Pete.

Chris had earlier gotten his baseball signed by Pete for free.  We were standing in line and Chris was holding a ball. Pete asked him his name and asked "Do you want me to sign your ball, buddy?" Pete did, and added his hits inscription.  I've got the ball put up for Chris.  When Chris sat beside him a bit later, he said "Hey Chris!".

I ran across Pete at a National a couple years ago, and thanked him for being cool to my son.  He didn't remember the encounter; at least he was honest about it.  I get it, he did tons of shows.  Still, I showed him the photo and he chuckled.  I, then, showed him a more recent picture of Chris and he said "Boy, look at all that hair!"  Pete could have brushed me off, but he was so nice.  Things like that won't be forgotten.  People can believe what they want about the man, but I'll sit back and reflect on my own personal experiences, and mourn him.  Rest in peace, Charlie Hustle, Hit King, Legend, Pete Rose.

1 comment:

Angus said...

Thanks for sharing a nice story like that. Pretty good memory to have.