Sunday, September 15, 2024

1987 Topps Set Pickup - Chet Lemon

This is my most recent pickup for my signed 1987 Topps set, a Beckett certified Chet Lemon.  I jad recently read an article about how Lemon has suffered a series of strokes, so I grabbed this one off of Ebay.  The article was really good and explained why folks hadn't heard much out of Lemon for some time now.  His wife wanted to let fans know, since there are plans to have Lemon at an upcoming Tigers game commemorating the 1984 World Series Champion Tigers.

Lemon (b. 1955) played in the majors from 1975 to 1990 for the White Sox and Tigers.  He had 1,875 hits, 215 home runs and a .273 batting average.  He was a three-time All Star (1978, 1979 and 1984).  He won the World Series with the Tigers in 1984.  He appeared on the 1996 Hall of Fame ballot but received only 0.2% of the vote. 

I like having my set in an album, but I don't want to crack this case.  I'll probably put an unsigned Lemon in the album with a slip of paper saying "see graded card" or something like that.

No comments: