Wednesday, September 4, 2024

2024 National Pickup - Bill Paxton Autograph

There have been two celebrity deaths in my life that deeply affected me.  One was Chris Cornell.  The other was actor, Bill Paxton.

Paxton (b. 1955 - d. 2017) was first introduced to me when I was a kid with his performance as Chet in Weird Science.  He played the role of douchy big brother perfectly.  My favorite role of his, and most other folks, was his role at Pvt. Hudson in Aliens.  Aliens is my favorite movie ever, and Hudson's arc is key in the movie.  He also has probably the second-best well known line of the movie in "Game Over Man".

He also appeared in Terminator, Predator 2, True Lies, Frailty and Tombstone (among many others).  So many great movies.  There's a myth that his characters had each been (spoiler alert) killed by a terminator, predator and alien.  However, his character in Terminator didn't actually die. He was probably knocked unconscious.

Anyway, I had been looking for a Paxton autograph for some time now. Last year at the National, I really got serious about finding one, but pop culture autographs were few and far between there.  It was like looking for needles in haystack.

This year, this card was my second purchase (after a Gunnar Henderson jersey) at the second card table I stopped to look at.  I bought it, and the guy beside me told me that if i hadn't bought it, he would have.

So, this pickup at the National ended up being my favorite purchase, and happened right after the show started.  I wish it was an Aliens autograph, but I'll take what I can get.  At least it's an on-card autograph and not a sticker auto.

4 comments:

Fuji said...

Nice addition to your collection. He was in a lot of movies I've seen. My favorites were Tombstone and Apollo 13. I also really liked Agents of SHIELD.

Angus said...

Congratulations on the purchase.

Aliens is one of my favorite movies, and how can any fan not love Hudson?

Everwake said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Everwake said...

He did a rally good job in the first season of Agents of Shield. I need to add that card to my wantlist.