Friday, November 4, 2016

A Second TTM Success From Jim Gentile

I was able to turn a couple cards that had been lying dormant in my Orioles box into some TTM successes.  I got two cards back from former Oriole, Jim Gentile, today.  I sent him the above 1966 Topps that was fairly beat up and wouldn't have been a consideration for any 1966 set I would attempt to put together in the future.  So, I figured it would be a good candidate to send TTM.  It turned out really nice, regardless of the creases in the card.
I had two of these 1985 Topps All-Time Record Holder cards and sent both along.  I got one back, Gentile opting to keep the extra.  That's fine, this one still looks great.  This is the first of this kind of card that I have been able to get signed.  My plan, now, with TTMs is to just send along "different" stuff.  I'll still consider Topps base cards as a main option, but I now want to see cool inserts and other odd stuff come back signed and end up in my album.  I think it will keep the TTM game fresh for me if I am continuing to try to find different kinds of cards to include and not limit myself to just Topps stuff.

Gentile (b. 1934) played in the majors from 1957-58 and 1960 to 1966 for the Dodgers (both Brooklyn and LA), Orioles, Kansas City A's, Astros and Indians.  He had 759 hits, 179 home runs and a career batting average of .260.  1961 was his finest season where he finished third in the AL MVP voting (behind two prominent Yankees).  That season he hit 46 homers and led the league in RBI with 141.

I mailed to Gentile on October 24 and got my cards back today for an 11-day TAT.

No comments: