Friday, August 3, 2012

Hidden Treasures in Mississippi Part 2 - The Ball

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get my next post up, but I haven't had a wifi connection at the last two places I have stayed the night, so I had to wait til I got home this morning to post my next entry.  I have so much to post, I shouldn't be without something to write for a while.

Getting back to my dinner with Mr. Don McNair; I had asked him before we met if he could bring a Jimmie Foxx signed baseball since I had never seen one in person.  He said that it would be no problem, so he brought this beauty with him.
 This ball is signed by Jimmie Foxx, Eric McNair and George Earnshaw.
The ball and signatures are in amazing condition for being around 80+ years old.  It is one of the dual-color seam baseballs of the period, and they even hold up well, also.
Included in his ball cube is a pin and plastic elephant for the Athletics.

I  really want to add a Foxx signed ball to my collection someday, but this is the closest I have gotten.  It was so awesome to be able to hold it in my hands.  Eric McNair and Foxx were good friends and drinking buddies, so having them on the ball together is fitting.  I think it was really great of Mr. McNair to let me see the ball, as I am sure it if priceless to him.

Stay tuned for my last post from our dinner, some amazing autographs from Eric NcNair's trip to Japan in 1934.

2 comments:

Weston DeShon said...

Wow, that is really cool!

Drew said...

Dude, that's gotta be one of the coolest looking signed balls I've seen before. Congrats on the awesome opportunity!