Sunday, March 1, 2020

TTM Success - Billy Rowell

Billy Rowell was once a prospect in the Orioles system.  He was a first round draft pick, who, lets say, didn't live up to his potential.  I remember reading an article on him after he was drafted where he said he was on his way to the Hall of Fame.  I remember thinking "Ooh, hang on, kid" and here we are.

I had met Rowell back when he was playing for Frederick.  Long before I was graphing cards, I made sure to get Rowell on a baseball, since he was a former first round pick.  Thinking back, I wish I had been graphing cards back then, because I had a bunch of his stuff.  Now, all of his cards are buried in an Orioles box somewhere in my closet.
I did uncover these two cards fairly recently, and saw that Rowell was signing TTM.  I'm glad I sent them, because surprisingly, Rowell wrote me a note in return.  He thanked me for being a fan, and said that he had some good times in Frederick.  I really appreciated the note.  He was always nice to me in the times I met him, so I have nothing bad to say about him.  I just wish he had panned out.

Rowell (b. 1988) was a first round draft pick out of high school by the Orioles in the 2006 June Amateur Draft.  He played in the minors from 2006 to 2011, reaching Bowie (AA).  He had 513 hits, 40 home runs and a .261 batting average across 6 MiLB seasons.

I mailed to Rowell on January 13 and got the cards back on January 24, for an 11-day TAT.

No comments: