Saturday, May 4, 2019

TTM Success - Tommy Brown

This 1953 Bowman Tommy Brown really looks great with some ink on it.  Since Brown has such a nice and neat signature, it looks even better than I could have imagined.  I was looking to add some 50s stuff to my album, and saw that Brown was still signing, so I bought the card and sent it along.  I'm glad I did.

Brown (b. 1927) played in the majors in 1944 and 1945 and then from 1947 to 1953 for the Dodgers (Brooklyn), Phillies and Cubs.  He broke into the majors in 1944 at the age of 16, and was done playing by the time he was 25.  He had 309 hits, 31 home runs and a .241 batting average.  Brown remains the youngest MLB player to ever hit a home run when he hit one at the age of 17 years and 257 days.  I can't confirm it, but it looks like he might also be the youngest player ever to get a hit in the majors as well.

I mailed to Brown on March 5 and got the card back signed on March 21, for a 16-day TAT.  He kept my 1952 Bowman that I had bought along with this 53.  Oh well.

Something else, too, I was tagging this post and about to hit submit, when I realized that a tag for Tommy Brown already existed.  It turns out that I had gotten him already back in 2017.  Oops again.  Well, I now have two signed 1953 Bowman of Brown.  They both look great.

No comments: