Saturday, May 11, 2019

May 2019 Graphing of the Pelicans at Wood Ducks

The Wood Ducks returned from a long road trip for a brief three-game series at home this past week against the Myrtle Beach Pelicans.  This was the last time that the Pelicans would come to Kinston this season, so I was eager to finish off what I had of them.  I had recently gotten my boxes of Bowman in, and pulled the above atomic refractor of Miguel Amaya.  The card is numbered 65/150, and looks really great signed.
I got all of the Aramis Ademan and Miguel Amaya that I had signed.  Ademan has such a nice signature, and it looks great on some 2019 Bowman.
I was glad to finally find some Steve Lerud cards.  I found them the day after the Pelicans left the last time, and got them into my book.  I also saw that Jake Stinnett was on the Pelicans roster for a rehab assignment, but realized that I had sent all of my Stinnett cards on to Max in Chicago.  Luckily, I had missed one, so I was able to get this 2014 Prizm signed.
There was a huge Rangers contingent on-hand during this series, so I was able to get a few rover cards signed.  I missed Dwayne Murphy last season because I had forgotten to put him in my book.  This year, I had him in there from Day One, and was able to get this 1979 Topps done, and also the A's Leaders card form 1986 Topps, below.
In addition to Murphy, Kenny Holmberg and Rick Strickland were on hand.  They had been here late last month, so I was able to Fins Holmberg's 2008 Bowman in my box, and I had found the above 1988 Cape Cod League card of Strickland on Ebay.  He was impressed that I had found the card and remarked that the card was "several pounds ago".  He also joked about how tight his pants were in the photo on the card.
I got a chrome 2019 Bowman done of JP Martinez, and this custom card of Bubba Thompson that my friend, John, sent me.

The Wood Ducks are on the road again, and will return home next weekend.

1 comment:

Fuji said...

Sweet Murphy! Grew up watching him play with Rickey and Tony Armas at the Oakland Coliseum. Good times.