Monday, June 26, 2023

June 24-25, 2023, Graphing of Syracuse Mets at Durham Bulls

Early last week, I had taken off so I could go to Durham and graph the Syracuse Mets.  The weather was crap, so I cut that time off short and went back to work.  I changed around my plans for the weekend, and set off to Durham for two days of graphing.

The first day (Saturday) was with my friend, Jesse (with a surprise appearance from Billy), and Sunday was with Chris and our friend, Jordan.  We all racked pretty well and came away happy, even though a couple of the Syracuse guys were less than friendly.

I was able to get some cards signed for my friend, Max, and got some cool stuff from him for myself, like the above 1995 UD Minors Durham card.  It shows the old Durham ballpark, and I got it signed by Jalen Beeks. 
I ordered some cards for a few of the Mets players so we could be covered on most of them.  Jose Butto was one of those guys. I got his 2023 Heritage and 2023 Topps.  The blue 2010 Pro Debut of TJ McFarland was really cool.  It was in one of my Orioles boxes and shows McFarland as a Kinston Indian.
I was really happy to get the 2022 Topps Cosmic Chrome signed by Tylor Megill. He was a late addition to the Mets roster, and someone who's cards I was able to find quickly Friday night.
Michael Perez was someone who's cards I found Sunday morning while I was waiting for Jordan to show.  I just happened to look through some guys I sent out for TTMs and found Perez with my stack of Brandon Lowe cards.

The two Tyler White cards on the bottom were quick pickups from sportlots when I decided to go on this trip.
Dennis Santana was super nice.  There was a meet the team event for the Bulls Sunday afternoon. You could pre-register and go on the field for a signing.  While we were down there, some of the Mets guys were out stretching.  Santana came over and signed.  McFarland reprimanded me saying that no one was going to come over for us (after Santana), which made me feel kind of dumb, but that didn't stop some of the Mets guys from playing catch with folks (adults and kids) and posing for photos with several people in Mets gear.  Oh well, maybe he didn't know what was going on.  We definitely didn't cross any barriers, so I know I wasn't doing anything wrong. 

JP Arencibia was really cool outside.  He would call folks out who didn't know who he was, but was cool about it.  He signed everything we had, so Max will get some Arencibia cards returned to him signed since he helped keep me from having to search my boxes and saved me time.
DJ Stewart proved to be very difficult, but did finally stop for us outside after Sunday's game.  He was one per, and signed for Chris and I.  One of the other graphers complained that he didn't have any cards, so I gave him one of mine.  When he handed it back to me signed, I was glad to take it.  It just seemed like he wanted to meet the players and not keel any of the autos. 

I was glad to finally get Jonathan Arauz.  I had missed him when he was with Norfolk, and I wanted to get my silver pack 1986 Topps Chrome mojo signed.
Megill signed everything Jesse and I had on Saturday.  We were also able to get David Peterson on two cards.  He and Megill look alike somewhat. 
I ordered this 2019 Topps Mini of Jimmy Yacabonis so I would have something else of him to sign.  It seems like be has been everywhere I've been the last few years.  
Here are several landscape oriented cards that we got signed.  These all turned out nicely.
Ben Gamel was really cool.  I had a few of my own cards, along with some that Max sent.  I did keep the first edition that Max sent me, but I added a few guys to his stack that he didn't send me, so hopefully that washes out.
I finally got a couple guys that I missed earlier this season (and last season) in Kyle Manzardo and Michael Mercado. The Elite Extra Edition Mercado has been in my box of shame for a while, but is now finally signed.
I can't believe I hadn't gotten Ryan Burr on his Stars and Stripes card before.  These two are a couple others that have floated around my desk for years.

Greg Jones was really cool, but quiet.  He inscribed a 2022 Heritage Minors for Billy "Go Seahawks" since the two of them went to UNCW.
There's an old man named Bill who I always see in Durham.  He wasn't there Saturday that I could see, but I did run into him on Sunday.  He's very funny, and hooked Mr up with a couple Blake Hunt team set cards to get signed at the meet the team event.  They turned out great.
I picked up a team set for the meet and greet.  It lasted an hour, but we were done in less than 30 minutes.
The only Bulls player on the active roster who wasn't at the event was Cooper Criswell, who was starting that night.  I got him outside after the game.
I'm exhausted still, but had a great time on the road for the first time with some fellow Wood Duck graphers.  

In all, we got the following autographs: Jonathan Arauz x 3, JP Arencibia x 15, Carlos Cortes x 5, Jaylin Davis x 7, Joey Lucchesi x 6, TJ McFarland x 4, Tylor Megill x 8, Hunter Parsons x 2, David Peterson x 3, Denyi Reyes x 2, Mike Vasil x 1, Tyler White x 3, Jimmy Yacabonis x 1, Jonathan Aranda x 8, Cooper Criswell x 2, Nick Dini x 4, Ben Gamel x 7, Niko Hulsizer x 12, Greg Jones x 4, Kyle Manzardo x 5, Michael Mercado x 3, Kam Misner x 3, Luis Patino x 4, Erasmo Ramirez x 2, Jose Butto x 3, John Curtiss x 1, Zach Muckenhirn x 2, Eric Orze x 1, Michael Perez x 3, Dennis Santana x 8, DJ Stewart x 3, Jaylen Beeks x 1, Ryan Burr x 4, Roberto Alvarez x 2, Osleivis Basabe x 2, Trevor Brigden x 2, Ruben Cardenas x 2, Tristan Gray x 1, Kenny Hook x 2, Blake Hunt x 2, Michael Johns x 2, Trevor Kelley x 2, Jose Lopez x 2, Evan McKendry x 2, Hector Lopez x 2, Brian Reith x 2, Josh Roberson x 1, Reinaldo Ruiz x 2, Nathan Wiles x 2 and Wool E Bull x 2 (172 total autographs).

No comments: