Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A Couple Pickups From The Card Show

I didn't buy a single card for myself at the card show.  I purchased a few cards for a friend of mine that I thought he would enjoy, however.  I figured I would post them because they aren't ones that would normally end up on this blog.



The first is a 1950 Royal Pudding cutout of Ray Scarborough.  I learned of Ray Scarborough through my friend not too long ago.  He was a pitcher for the Senators, Red Sox, Yankees and Tigers from 1942, 43 and 1946 to 1953.  He had a career record of 80-85 with an ERA of 4.13 and 564 strikeouts.

After his playing career was over, he retired to Mount Olive, NC (which is about an hour or so from where I now live) and opened an oil and supply company.  He also helped to establish the baseball program at Mount Olive College.

My friend knew Mr. Scarborough personally, so anytime I can find something of his, I try to pick it up.

Additionally, I just thought this card looked really cool, so, I think it will be a nice little something to send his way.

I'm also helping my friend work on the 1963 Fleer set and I was able to pick up the short printed Joe Adcock that he needed for his set.

The card is pretty sharp, even though I scanned it crooked.

I had never heard of Adcock, so a little checking on baseball-reference.com showed that he played in the majors from 1950 to 1966 for the Reds, Braves, Indians and Angels.  He was a pretty good power hitter, hitting 336 homers in his career with 1,832 hits and a .277 batting average.

Sometimes it is far more fun to find stuff for others than it is for yourself, and this trip to the card show definitely showed that.  I also got to see some cards that I probably wouldn't have looked twice at otherwise.

2 comments:

Ryan H said...

I've driven through Mt Olive a few times on my way to the beach for vacation. I had no idea that it was the place that all the pickles come from or that Scarborough was from there.

William Regenthal said...

I like it there, a really nice town. Next time you drive through there, stop at a Friendly Mart gas station (any one of them) and get a hot dog. Those are some awesome hot dogs. Just sayin...