Saturday, December 3, 2011

My Reward For Passing The Exam - Ted Williams Signed Baseball

As you all hopefully know, I passed the second half of the ASBOG exam, thereby making me a licensed geologist.  The ASBOG exam is akin to the Bar exam, but for geology.  I can now become licensed in most states as long as I meet their criteria.  At this point, I am pursuing licenses in North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and Georgia.  My fees for NC have been paid and I should get my stamp in a couple weeks.

What this means is that I can now stamp and seal reports, giving my own professional opinion, when in the past, I was only doing the technical writing and project management.  This is a professional certification that makes my resume so much better.

So, seeing as how important it was to me that I pass the exam, I told my supervisor last year when I passed the first half of the exam that if I passed the whole thing, I would reward myself with a Ted Williams signed baseball.  If you recall, I rewarded myself pretty well when I passed the first half.  I got myself a signed Brooks Robinson bat, a Pete Rose ball and a Phil Rizzuto ball.

I have been wanting a Ted Williams ball for a long time now.  Since I am knocking off as many Hal of Famers as I can, he is definitely one of the big names I needed and is my biggest name that I have so far.

One of the greatest hitters of all time, Williams (b.1918 - d.2002) played for the Red Sox from 1939-1942, 1946-1960.  He was a 2-time MVP.  He was the last hitter to bat over .400, when he hit .406 in 1941.  He won the batting title six times and the home run crown 4 times.  He had 2,654 career hits, 521 home runs, 1,839 RBIs and a career average of .344.

Williams was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1966 (his first year on the ballot) when he was named on 93.4% of the ballot.

Williams is my 52nd Hall of Famer.

3 comments:

AdamE said...

Congrats.

Oh yeah, good job passing the exam too.

Play at the Plate said...

Congrats on the exam and the reward.

Drew said...

Dude what an incredible baseball that is. Definitely my favorite Red Sox player of all time, I mean even as a Yankee fan, how can you disrespect Teddy Ballgame? Sweet pickup and congrats again on passing! Knew You could do it!