Saturday, September 21, 2019

TTM Success - Bob Ojeda

I added this Bob Ojeda auto for my 87 set through a private signing on SCN.  I have a bunch more coming, which is nice.  The set is coming along a lot better than I ever thought it would, but I have some tough ones to get still.

Ojeda (b. 1957) played in the majors from 1980 to 1994 for the Red Sox, Mets, Dodgers, Indians and Yankees.  He had a career record of 115-98 with 1,128 strike outs and a 3.65 ERA.  He finished 4th in the 1986 NL Cy Young Award race, and 21st in the MVP voting that season.  He won the World Series with the Mets in 1986. 

During Spring Training in 1993, Ojeda joined fellow Indians pitchers Tim Crews and Steve Olin on a boat ride near Crews's Florida home.  It was near dark, and Crews was legally drunk, when the boat struck a pier, killing Olin and Crews.  Ojeda received lacerations on his head, but survived the crash.  He spent most of the 1993 season recuperating from the accident.

I mailed to the private signing on July 19 and got the card back on August 29, for a 41-day TAT.  I paid a fee of $39.00.

1 comment:

Fuji said...

That has to be Ojeda's greatest looking baseball card. Dang that thing looks awesome!