Monday, February 11, 2019

TTM Success - Art Mahaffey

This was a really cool TTM success.  Yeah, I'm happy I got this 1964 Topps card signed by Art Mahaffey, but it is the back of the card that was really intriguing.
I had gotten this card in a stack of vintage that was sent to me for Christmas by my friend, Gerard.  I didn't think much of the card at the time, other than that I was wondering if Mahaffey signed.  When I saw that he did, and I turned the card over for some reason, I discovered that a past owner of the card had written his name on the back.  From the looks of the handwriting, I believe this card once belonged to a kid.  Mike Fricks might have been maybe 10-11, or so, but he put his name on this card that is about to be secured in my autograph album.  I have no idea who the kid was, but I think that is kind of cool, to be honest.  Lots of folks would shy away from a card like this, since someone wrote on it.  Even I, a few years ago, might have bypassed it for a better version.  Now, though, I am really glad I was able to get it signed, and put it away.  Somewhere, I hope Mike Fricks knows that his once proud possession is tucked away safely, and it taken care of.

Mahaffey (b. 1938) played in the majors from 1960 to 1966 for the Phillies and Cardinals.  He had a record of 59-64 with 639 strike outs and a 4.17 ERA.  He was a three-time All Star and finished 26th in the 1962 N MVP voting.

I mailed to Mahaffey on January 2 and got the card back on January 19, for a 17-day TAT.  I paid a fee of $5.00.

No comments: