Monday, April 2, 2018

TTM Success - Maury Wills

It took me three tries, but I finally got a TTM success from Maury Wills.  I tried him last year, but had a bad address.  Then I sent to him in November, but got no return, so I took advantage of a Sportscollectors.net private signing and got this 1987 Topps taken care of.

Originally, I had one with me at the 2015 National Card Show, but was only able to get Wills on a baseball.  I had planned to go back through his line, but the power went out, then they weren't taking any wild cards for him.  So, I am really glad that I finally was able to get this done.  I have one other Wills card that I want to try to get done, so I have to hope another private signing comes along.

Wills (b. 1932) played in the majors from 1959 to 1972 for the Dodgers, Pirates and Expos.  He had 2,134 hits, 20 home runs and a .281 batting average.  He also had 586 stolen bases in his career, leading the league in six straight seasons (1960 to 1965).

He was the ML MVP in 1962 and won the World Series in 1959, 1963 and 1965 while with the Dodgers.  Wills appeared on the Hall of Fame ballot 15 times, but only received a maximum of 40.6% of the vote.  His 586 stolen bases rank 20th all-time.

I mailed to the private signing on February 12 and got the card back on March 6, for a 24-day TAT.  I paid a fee of $10.00 for the signing.  I still have the cards I sent to him in November, along with $20 cash, so hopefully those come back soon.

No comments: