Monday, December 12, 2016

TTM Success - Tito Francona

I saw on sportscollectors.net that Tito Francona was signing TTM.  When I saw that I had one of his cards in my vintage box, I decided to go ahead and send to him.  I wasn't satisfied with just one card, so I went to sportlots and picked up this 1957 Topps Francona so I could have a card of him as an Oriole.  I'm glad I got it, because I love the 57 design and was happy to add another to the autograph project.
This 1965 Topps is the card that I had in my vintage box.  I also didn't have many of these in my autograph project.  1965 is one of my favorite Topps years, but I never have had all that many cards.  I would love to start the set sometime, but I know it will be an expensive endeavor.
Finally, here is another 1985 Topps Father/Son card.  Terry Francona doesn't sign very much, so this one will likely stay as is.

Francona (b. 1933) played in the majors from 1956 to 1970 for the Orioles, White Sox, Tigers, Indians, Cardinals, Phillies, Braves, A's and Brewers.  He had 1,395 hits, 125 home runs and a .272 batting average.  He finished tied for second in the 1956 AL Rookie of the Year voting (behind Luis Aparicio and tied with Rocky Colavito) and 5th in the 1959 AL MVP voting.  He was an All Star in 1961.  It is interesting to note that Francona was traded on two occasions for Hall of Famer, Larry Doby (once in 1957 from the Orioles to the White Sox and again in 1959 from the Tigers to the Indians).

I mailed to Francona on November 21 and got the cards back on November 28, for a 7-day TAT.

No comments: