Wednesday, March 9, 2016

TTM Success - Mark Gubicza

I got a second TTM success on Saturday (3/5) when I got a bunch of cards in from former pitcher, Mark Gubicza.  My good friend, Max, told me that I should send quite a bit to Gubicza, since he is known to sign anything and everything that is sent to him.  I didn't want to seem too greedy, but I did see a bunch of his cards that I thought would look cool signed.

Obviously, I had to send him one of my 1987 Topps cards.  I have so many of them, I needed to be able to put one or more of them to some kind of use.  It turned out great.  I am not seeking to get the entire set signed, but 1987 has been my default card of choice for many of the TTMs I have sent out recently.
These two 1989 Topps turned out really nice in blue sharpie.  I'll probably gift one of these to someone, but I'm not quite sure who, just yet.  I do enjoy the 1989 set quite a bit, since it was the set my first baseball cards came from.
Finally, here are the other three cards I got.  It is always nice finding some use for a 1992 Donruss Triple Play card.  I feel like I had those coming out of my ears at some point.  I think it was because the boxes were so cheap way back when, we ended up busting a ton of them.  The 1992 Stadium Club turned out great as well.  One card I didn't scan was a signed 1996 Fleer.  It turned out really nice, as well.  Much like the Charles Johnson, the matte finish really makes an auto look good on those cards.

Gubicza (b. 1962) played in the majors from 1984 to 1997 for the Royals and Angels.  He had a career record of 132-136 with an ERA of 3.96 and 1,371 strikeouts.  He was a 2-time All Star (1988 and 1989).  He won 20 games in 1988 when he finished 3rd in the AL Cy Young Award balloting.  He won the World Series in 1985 with the Royals.

I mailed to Gubicza on 2/22 and got him back on 3/5 for a 12-day TAT.  He signed all of the cards I sent.

No comments: