Thursday, March 31, 2016

TTM Success - Bobby Doerr, Again

While I was looking for cards to send out for TTM, I found some more of one of the best all-time TTM signers, Bobby Doerr.  Doerr, at 97 years old (he will be 98 on April 7), is the oldest living Hall of Famer and the last surviving player to have played in the 1930s.  I mailed this 2008 UD Goudey to him on March 4 and got the card back on March 24, for a 20-day TAT.

Doerr (b. 1918) played in the majors from 1937 to 1944 and 1946 to 1951 for the Boston Red Sox.  He had 2,042 hits, 223 home runs and a lifetime .288 batting average in an era when second basemen were not known to have pop in their bat.

Doerr was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1986 by the Veterans Committee.  I probably won't send to Doerr any more, since I have gotten him a few times now.  However, if any of you are even considering sending TTM to get autographs, I highly recommend trying Doerr.  He was the first ever TTM success I got, thanks to a suggestion from my buddy, Drew.  You can read about it, here.

No comments: