Tuesday, March 15, 2016

TTM Success - Bill Buckner

I got a realy cool TTM success on Saturday (3/12) when I received three signed cards from Bill Buckner.  I had this 1970 Topps rookie of Buckner floating around in one of my card show boxes for the longest time.  When I saw that he was signing TTM, I dug it out of the box and sent it on.  As you can see, the signature got smudged in transit back from Buckner, but it is still really cool that the card is signed.  It will go into my TTM/IP album, regardless, and that is much better than floating around a dime box.
I had this 1972 Topps Buckner in my yet-to-be-started 1972 set.  I figured I could replace the card later on, so I grabbed this to send out as well.  I'm glad I did, because it looks awesome.
Finally, I found this 1988 Topps of Buckner in one of the boxes that Mom got me, so I sent it, too.  Buckner signed all three cards I sent, and I paid a $10.00 fee to get them.  I'm disappointed that the '70 and '88 came back smudged, but I really can't argue.  I mean, I guess that's a chance you take when sending cards TTM.  I mailed to Buckner on February 22 and got the cards back on 3/12, for a 19-day TAT.

Buckner (b. 1949) played in the majors from 1969 to 1990 for the Dodgers, Cubs, Red Sox, Angels and Royals.  He had 2,715 hits, 174 home runs and a career average of .289.  He went to the World Series in 1974 with the Dodgers and 1986 with the Red Sox, but failed to win a championship.  He will likely be forever known as the guy who let a ball hit by Mookie Wilson pass through his legs during the 1986 World Series that helped continue the "Curse of the Bambino."

Buckner had a really long career where he finished as high as 10th in the MVP voting (1981 and 1982) and was a one-time All Star (1981).  He only appeared on one Hall of Fame ballot (1996) and only mustered 2.1 % of the vote.

No comments: