Friday, April 27, 2012

Hall of Fame SIgned Baseball - Joe Sewell

It sure has been a while.  I have finally knocked another Hall of Famer off of my want list.  My 64th Hall of Fame signed baseball is that of Joe Sewell, the hardest player in history to strike out.  He once played an entire season and struck out only 3 times.  WOW.
Sewell, born in 1898 and died in 1990 played in the majors from 1920 to 1933 for the Indians and Yankees.  He won the World Series with the Indians in 1920 and with the Yankees in 1933.  I did a Hall of Fame Spotlight post on him on January 2, 2011, which you can read here.  I also discussed a signed Hall of Fame postcard of his in this post.  Finally, I discussed Sewell again in a post on a 1922 E-120 American Caramel card that can be seen here.

Sewell was an amazing player who, at first glimpse, doesn't blow anyone away with his numbers.  His strikeout numbers are epic, though, and deserve recognition.

Some other random thoughts on Sewell:

  • He is the first player I have a signature of that was born in the 1800s.
  • He is the only player I have so far who played on a regular season team with Babe Ruth (as far as I know).
  • He now holds the distinction of representing the oldest World Series champion of which I have a signature from (1920).
  • He also represents the oldest season debut for any player whom I have a signature of (1920).
  • 1920 was the year that my grandfather was born (he would have been 92 this year).
I just thought some of those random facts were interesting.  I hope you all enjoyed seeing this signature, as I was excited to finally add another to the china cabinet.

2 comments:

Ryan H said...

Joe had a great signature. Thanks for all the interesting trivia too!

A2 Wolverine said...

Wow look at that signature!