Thursday, August 23, 2018

2918 National Paid Signer - Reggie Jackson

Each year at the National, I try to meet/get an auto of at least one "big name".  This year, with me concentrating on cards for my 1987 set, I set out to add as many as I could, and also maybe save room for that big name.  So, since he had two cards in the set, I went for Reggie Jackson.

I was torn between Reggie, Dave Winfield and Rickey Henderson.  Winfield has one card in the set, while Rickey has three.  I figured I ought to wait a bit on Rickey, especially since Don Mattingly is on a card with him.  Maybe I can get Mattingly first TTM, then get Rickey in person so I don't have to mail an already signed card TTM.
Because I had two paid vouchers for Reggie, I thought I would ask my buddy, Nate, if he wanted to go through the line with me.  I figured that Nate was on a much tighter budget than I was, so a free meeting with a legend might be fun.  He jumped at the chance, so he went through the line with me and got my above 1987 Topps signed for me.
I've heard all kinds of horror stories from collectors all around that Reggie wasn't too pleasant to deal with.  He was super nice for Nate and I, so I can only base things on my own interaction.  I was really glad he was cool, because you never want to think negatively about anyone, really.

I was really happy to meet Reggie, and knock these two tough cards off of my checklist.  I'm acually pretty excited at who the next huge names to fall off of the checklist will be.

No comments: