Friday, August 15, 2014

A Box Break Leads To A Trade

I joined a box break on Instagram some time ago (I was on vacation, actually) and the results finally were revealed last week.  I bought in for 3 slots at $4 each ($12 total) and ended up with the Cubs, Red Sox and of course, the Orioles.  The biggest thing about the break, though, was that I got the numbered to 10 parallel of Cubs prospect Javier Baez.

Now, I'm no prospector and when the facilitator of the break let me know I pulled it (thanks to him for being honest, too), he immediately asked if I'd trade it.  I told him I absolutely would, if he had some good vintage cards.

Well, he first showed me the above Catfish Hunter RC, which I was really close to calling it a deal at just that card.  However, I got a bunch more pictures on my messenger, and I wasn't about to turn them down.  In the end, I got the Hunter RC, the below Red Schoendienst from 1960, a 1959 Topps for my set (Joe Ginsberg), 1962 Juan Marichal, 1968 Phil Niekro, 1974 Reggie Jackson, 1968 Gaylord Perry, 1972 Willie Mays (in action), 1967 Boog Powell, 1965 Paul Richards and a 1971 Schoendienst.
So, by my count, I got 8 Hall of Famers (one of which was a RC), one set need, one Oriole legend (Powell) and a former Oriole manager.  The cards were in various stages of condition, with the Schoendienst being the worst of the lot, but I am so very satisfied with the trade.  I know that Baez card might be hot now, but these Hall of Famers will forever be Hall of Famers.
Finally, I did get some good Orioles, like this Chris Davis.  I also got the chrome parallel of Baez, so I still have a little trade bait left over!

No comments: