Monday, August 12, 2013

Hall of Fame Signed Baseball - Richie Ashburn

I'm going to be skipping around quite a bit now to try to catch up on some long overdue posts, but first, I wanted to show what I picked up this past Saturday at the Charlotte card show.  I had no idea that there was a card show scheduled to be in Charlotte the very same time that I was heading that way to visit the in-laws, but as luck would have it, there was, indeed a show scheduled.

So, Saturday, my wife and I decided to kill some time (and some money) by spending a few hours at the show while Chris hung out with his grandfather.  I found a good bit of stuff at the show for my set needs, which I will show off in a subsequent post.  I also saw the above signed baseball for only $59 at a table of a vendor who I usually buy from.  I bought Duke Snider from him a long time ago and I was really happy to be able to get this Richie Ashburn ball from him as well.

Ashburn's signed baseballs typically run around $150 on ebay, so getting this one for $59 is a steal.  The ball isn't authenticated, but I trust the seller and after looking at several Ashburn autos over the years, I have a good feeling that it is legit.

Ashburn (b. 1927 - d. 1997) played in the majors from 1948 to 1962 for the Phillies, Cubs and Mets.  He had 2,574 hits, 29 home runs and a .308 lifetime batting average.  He had more than 200 hits in 3 seasons and won the NL batting title in 1955 and 1958.  He was a part of the Phillies 'Whiz Kids' team that lost in 4 games to the Yankees in the 1950 World Series.

Ashburn is my 91st Hall of Fame signed baseball.  100 seems to be creeping up on me.  Gee, I wonder who #100 will be...??

No comments: