Thursday, July 26, 2012

My Early AL Rookie of the Year Pick

I wasn't going to continue this theme, you know, the early picks for the postseason awards, but after my post on Andrew McCutchen, I felt like I had to acknowledge what is being accomplished in Anaheim, or Los Angeles, or Orange County, or California (wherever the Angels are from today).
Mike Trout is having probably one of the best rookie seasons on record.  After being called up in May, he has been on a blistering pace, batting .356 with 16 homers, 49 RBIs and 36 stolen bases.  At only 20 years old, he is playing like a seasoned veteran.  The Angels have certainly benefited from his play as of late.  They were floundering until Trout (see what I did there?) was called up.  Now they are competing for the AL West crown with the Texas Rangers and look like a sure bet to enter the playoffs, if not the West winners, at least as a wild card.

I would imagine that Trout has had a lot to do with that.  He might even be a good candidate for AL MVP.

1 comment:

PAB said...

Even as a Rangers fan I like watching Mike Trout. I think he's going to win the batting title, lead the league in runs and stolen bases win the AL ROY and MVP award. Heck if he started pitching tomorrow he could probably win the CY Young Award ;)