Thursday, May 3, 2012

TTM Success - Chuck Diering

I was pleasantly surprised today to find another of my padded mailers in my mailbox.  It has been a while since I have gotten TTM successes in rapid succession, so I was very pleased that this ball came so quickly after a previous success.
My 54th TTM success, Chuck Diering, came after I submitted my ball on April 28.  This was a 5-day TAT.  He inscribed the ball 1954-1956, First MVP and 1954 Inaugural Orioles.
Diering, born in 1923, played from 1947-1952, 1954 to 1956 for the Cardinals, Giants and the Orioles.  He was a member of the 1954 Orioles, the first season that the O's played in Baltimore following their transition from the St. Louis Browns.
Diring his career, he had 411 hits, 14 home runs and a .249 batting average.  He became part of the Orioles when the team selected him from the Pacific Coast League as part of the Rule V draft in 1953.
He was also kind enough to send along the above note, so here it is.  If you can't read it, this is what it says:

We had great fans that supported a mediocre club.  Was proud to be selected first MVP in Baltimore, Chuck Diering.

I'm really happy that I got this success back, especially when it came so fast!  I really appreciate the time Mr. Diering took to write the note and add inscriptions to the ball, and for free!

1 comment:

Commishbob said...

That's a really nice return. Makes it seem much more special, doesn't it?