Sunday, May 6, 2012

Hall of Fame Signed Baseball - Willie Stargell

I spent this weekend visiting my younger brother in Columbia, South Carolina for my niece's 4th birthday party.  As always, when I'm in Columbia, I visit this really awesome antique shop called 'Chic Antiques.'  The shop is run by a friend of a friend (it's a small world) and I always like going and saying hello.  I always seem to find some good deals while I'm there.  I got myself several 1959 Topps for my set (which I will show later), a couple cards for my good buddy Andrew, a 1961 Topps Boston Red Sox team card for Scott, 2 1963 Fleer for another friend and finished up with this amazing signed baseball for a paltry $50 bucks.
I told the shop keeper that I was looking for some Hall of Fame signed baseballs and he brought out several to see what I needed.  He showed me this Willie Stargell and quoted me the amazingly low price of $50, so I had to jump on it.  The ball is not authenticated, but I know that it is legit.  I have 100% confidence that anything the guy sells me is authentic.

Willie Stargell played in the majors from 1962 to 1982, all for the Pittsburgh Pirates.  He won the World Series with them in 1971 and 1979 (against MY Orioles).  He retired with 2,232 hits, 475 home runs and a .282 batting average.  He was the 1979 NL MVP.

Stargell is now my 65th Hall of Fame signed baseball.  I'm hoping I can knock off a couple more at next week's card show.

2 comments:

Hackenbush said...

Congrats on the ball. Sweet!

Dodgerbobble said...

Nice pick up! Are you gonna get it authenticated?